Volunteers at a concert sponsored by the Winding Rivers Arts & Performance Society on May 29

Volunteers at a concert sponsored by the Winding Rivers Arts & Performance Society on May 29

Flood relief committee a model others could follow

After nine months, and $260,000 in disbursements, the Cache Creek Flood Relief Committee has disbanded.

“They were a model the provincial government could follow: very fair, very reasonable,” says Kim Van Tine of the Cache Creek Flood Relief Committee (CCFRC), which was disbanded in early April after disbursing some $264,000 in donations. “They asked ‘What was the critical need of people applying’, based on what was important to make a house habitable. The whole situation was dealt with fairly.”

Van Tine was one of 34 applicants to the CCFRC, which was formed in July 2015 to handle the donations that poured in after the flood of May 23. Cache Creek mayor John Ranta says that council was “not comfortable making the difficult financial decisions” entailed in disbursing the funds raised, so an independent committee of five people was formed, and chaired by Wendy Coomber.

The committee was still receiving donations earlier this year, but Coomber says the majority of the donations came in immediately following the flood. “It was great to see how many residents, contractors, businesses, and service and community groups donated,” she says. Donations large and small came from near and far: Barkerville, Ashcroft, Logan Lake, Spences Bridge, Kamloops, Lillooet, and beyond. “It was an incredible response.”

The requests to the CCFRC totalled more than $600,000, and Coomber says that does not represent everyone who could have applied. “Some people felt that the money they received through the province’s Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) was enough, and didn’t apply to us for funds,” she says.

A small number of people who asked for $2,000 or less in assistance got the full amount, while people who asked for between $5,000 and $50,000 generally got half of what they asked for. Van Tine says he was able to receive some assistance from the relief committee to help offset the massive damage to his house, which was not covered by DFA. “There was no expectation it would cover everything, but it helped.

“There was no nit-picking. The provincial government has a very cookie cutter, very rigid process, but the relief committee looked at the human part of things. That’s the way the process needs to go. There has to be some wiggle room.”

Coomber says that many of the requests were regarding the removal of mud and debris from yards, as well as the repair of garage doors, fencing, sidewalks, driveways, sheds, and retaining walls; items the provincial government’s DFA did not cover. “Most people were pretty reasonable. One thing we all learned was don’t expect your insurance to cover everything. And don’t expect the government to come in and make things all right.”

Tammy Harkness says that funds from the CCFRC helped her repair substantial damage to her garage. “Everything in there went into the creek and was swept away or buried. I lost some stuff, but I’m still here. And the community was very kind to me.”

Leona Paxton says her experience with the relief committee was “very positive. I can’t be more appreciative of how it went.” It cost $50,000 for the restoration necessary to her house after the flood, and the CCFRC provided $21,000 in assistance. “I was blown away. I feel so appreciative of what I got. The support was there, and it was a big help.”

“We received quite a few thank you letters,” says Coomber. “People were pleased they received some money from the fund. All the donations added a little to lessening people’s misery, and lives were made easier for people who were truly impacted.”

Just Posted

With high temperatures forecasted for the week and into the next, Interior Health is offering some tips on how to keep yourself safe from heat-related illness. (Pixabay)
Interior Health offers safety tips as temperatures soar

“Too much heat can be harmful to your health.”

Lincoln Mckoen. (YouTube)
Anglican bishop of the central Interior resigns over sexual misconduct allegations

Lincoln Mckoen was elected as a bishop of the Territory of the People region last year

FILE – Perry Bellegarde, National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, takes part in an event on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, July 7, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Indigenous Peoples Day must be a ‘call to action’, says Assembly of First Nations chief

Discovery of children at Kamloops residential school site must lead to change, Perry Bellegarde says

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Over 5K jabbed at Interior Health mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinics

The clinics have made stops in more than 40 communities since launching last week

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry talks about B.C.’s plan to restart the province during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, May 25, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Interior Health COVID-19 cases falling slower than the rest of B.C.

More than a third of provincial cases announced Thursday came from the Interior

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

People enjoy the sun at Woodbine Beach on June 19, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Tijana Martin
BC Hydro assures customers it has ‘more than enough’ power to weather the heatwave

Despite an increase of pressure on the Western grid, blackouts are not expected like in some U.S. states

Air Canada planes sit on the tarmac at Pearson International Airport during the COVID-19 pandemic in Toronto on Wednesday, April 28, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Pilots say no reason to continue quarantines for vaccinated international travellers

Prime minister says Canada still trying to limit number of incoming tourists

Six United Way chapters around the province are merging into United Way B.C. (News Bulletin file photo)
6 United Way chapters merging around B.C.

Money raised in communities will stay in those communities, agency says

Val Litwin is the latest candidate to declare his bid for the B.C. Liberal leadership. (Litwin campaign video)
Political newcomer joins contest for B.C. Liberal leadership

Val Litwin a former B.C. Chamber of Commerce CEO

Golden Ears Mountains, captured in May 2021. (Black Press Media files)
2nd year of day passes required for entry into 5 provincial parks launches in B.C.

Pilot program seeks to protect the environment by addressing visitor surges amid the COVID-19 pandemic

The former Kamloops Indian Residential School on the Tk’emlups te Secwépemc reserve. (Allen Douglas/Kamloops This Week)
Tk’emlups preparing for archaeological work at B.C. residential school site where remains found

The 215 graves are, to the band’s knowledge, undocumented deaths for which it is still collecting records

Fans watch the warm-up before Game 6 between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens in NHL playoff hockey action Saturday, May 29, 2021 in Montreal. Quebec’s easing of COVID-19 restrictions will allow 2,500 fans to attend the game for the first time in fourteen months. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Two-thirds of Canadians say governments shouldn’t lift all COVID-19 restrictions

Poll reports Canadians who gained pandemic weight say they have gained 16 pounds on average

Paul Bernardo is shown in this courtroom sketch during Ontario court proceedings via video link in Napanee, Ont., on October 5, 2018. Teen killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo is set for a parole hearing today. The designated dangerous offender, has been eligible for full parole for more than three years. Bernardo’s horrific crimes in the 1980s and early 1990s include for kidnapping, torturing and killing Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy near St. Catharines, Ont. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Greg Banning
Killer rapist Paul Bernardo faces parole hearing today; victim families opposed

Designated dangerous offender has been eligible for full parole for more than three years.

Most Read