Flooding at the Cache Creek fire hall, July 2, 2020. Disaster Financial Assistance is now available for those who suffered flood damage during this year’s flooding. (Photo credit: Tom Moe)

Financial assistance available for victims of flooding in TNRD

Government will pay 80% of eligible claims resulting from flood damage

Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) is now available for residents and businesses in Thompson-Nicola Regional District Electoral Areas “E”, “I”, and “J” and the City of Kamloops that were were impacted by flooding between April 20 and July 7, 2020.

The assistance program includes all municipalities, electoral areas, and First Nations communities in the specified areas, including Cache Creek, Loon Lake, 16 Mile, and the Bonaparte Indian Band. It is available to homeowners, residential tenants, small business owners, farmers, ranchers, charitable organizations, and local governments that were unable to obtain insurance to cover disaster-related losses, as well as expenses incurred for cleaning and disinfecting after flood events.

Financial assistance is provided for each accepted claim at 80 per cent of the amount of total eligible damage that exceeds $1,000, to a maximum claim of $300,000. Claims may be made in more than one category: for example, someone who is a homeowner and a farm owner and who suffered flood-related damage to their home and their farm can claim under both categories.

A homeowner or residential tenant making a claim must show that the home in question is their principal residence. Small business owners and farm owners must demonstrate that their farms and businesses are their primary source of income, and charitable organizations making a claim must provide a benefit or service to the community at large.

There are a number of exceptions to what will be covered by DFA. Seasonal or recreational properties will not be covered, nor will landscaping, fences, patios, pools, hot tubs, or garden tools. Luxury items, collectables, books and paper products, and recreational items (such as bicycles) are also not eligible for assistance, nor are any vehicles which were insurable.

Assistance is available to local governments for recovery measures to replace essential materials and rebuild or replace essential public infrastructure to the condition it was in before the disaster. Assistance is provided for each accepted recovery claim at 80 per cent of the amount of total eligible damage that exceeds $1,000; the local government must cover the remaining 20 per cent of costs.

Applications for Disaster Financial Assistance for this year’s flooding must be submitted to Emergency Management BC (EMBC) by Nov. 3, 2020.

The DFA guidelines and application form can be accessed online at http://www.gov.bc.ca/disasterfinancialassistance.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter


Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Citing stability, B.C. Premier calls snap election for Oct. 24

John Horgan meets with Lieutenant Governor to request vote

Williams Lake First Nation inks historic cannabis deal with B.C. government

The agreement paves the way for WLFN to sell cannabis to the government, and open stores across B.C.

Unofficial holidays: Here’s what people are celebrating for the week of Sept. 20 to 26

Rabbit Day, Hobbit Day and One-Hit Wonder Day are all coming up this week

Interior Health reports three additional COVID-19 cases in region

The number of cases in the region since the beginning of the pandemic are now at 492

Six additional COVID-19 cases overnight in Interior Health region

The total number of cases within the region is now at 486

B.C. reports 96 new COVID-19 cases, one hospital outbreak

61 people in hospital as summer ends with election

‘Unprecedented’ coalition demands end to B.C. salmon farms

First Nations, commercial fishermen among group calling for action on Cohen recommendations

Earthquake off coast of Washington recorded at 4.1 magnitude

The quake was recorded at a depth of 10 kilometres

B.C.’s top doctor says she’s received abuse, death threats during COVID-19 response

Henry has become a national figure during her time leading B.C.’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic

BC Liberals must change gears from election cynicism, focus on the issues: UBC professors

COVID-19 response and recovery is likely to dominate platforms

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

B.C. could be without a new leader for multiple weeks after Election Day: officials

More than 20K mail-in voting packages were requested within a day of B.C. election being called

Vancouver Island sailor stranded in U.S. hospital after suffering massive stroke at sea

Oak Bay man was attempting to circumnavigate the world solo

Majority needed to pass COVID-19 budget, B.C. premier says

John Horgan pushes urgent care centres in first campaign stop

Most Read