Fireworks may have caused fire

Oct. 11 fire at the slough was determined to be caused by humans.

Earlier this month, while responding to a fire next to the CN Rail tracks on Evans Rd. in the area known as the Slough, firefighters discovered a large amount of used fireworks. The fire crew was unable to access the area with equipment and it was too dangerous to attack the fire at night with only hand tools.

The fire, which was reported at 8 pm on Oct. 11, was monitored overnight and burned down to a smouldering pile. BCFS firefighters attended the next morning and along with the Ashcroft Fire Chief conducted an investigation into the cause of the fire. While no proof that the fireworks located were actually the cause of the fire, the fire was determined to be man caused.

The Ashcroft Fire Department wishes to remind the public that the Possession and Use of Fireworks within the Village of Ashcroft are prohibited by bylaw without a permit. Evans Rd. and the Slough area are within the boundaries of the Village. The grasslands are still very dry and carelessness can still result in a grass fire in this area.

Submitted