I’m sure that the words “Oh, no, not the Manor” were on more than a few lips during the worrying hours of the fire at the old Beam station on Friday night/Saturday. I hope that all readers of the Journal—indeed, all local residents—will join me in praising the dedication, hard work, and fearless determination of the volunteer firefighters of Ashcroft and Cache Creek. Without their sterling efforts I fear that Ashcroft Manor would be no more. We can be thankful for their success.
This latest fire incident should again serve as a reminder of the fragility of the many wooden structures in our area, and emphasize the need for Village councils to ensure that our volunteers are provided with the tools and modern equipment to get their job done.
We shouldn’t overlook the fact that infernos such as the one we witnessed this past weekend put lives as well as structures at risk. Our firefighters deserve the best that we can give them; and it is perhaps time that their needs were revisited.