Local History

Ashcroft in 1891, showing the Ashcroft Hotel at centre and the empty lot to its right purchased by the owners of the Harvey Bailey store in 1898. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1973, accident on Ashcroft bridge prompts calls for safety

Incident involving student walking home from school raises fears about something worse happening

 

The historic CNR station in Hope has been boarded up for several years and was facing demolition when a grassroots initiative helped keep it alive. (Photo credit: Tashme Historical Society)

Vote early, vote often to support historic Hope CNR station

Station building, constructed in 1916, one of 10 finalists in this year’s ‘Next Great Save’ competition

 

Ashcroft’s Barnes Block (at centre), pictured in 1912, was starting to take shape in 1898 with the impending construction of Clements’ Drug Store (false-fronted white building with two windows), Cumming’s General Store (false-fronted white building with three windows on the corner of 4th Street across from the Ashcroft Hotel), and the <em>Journal</em> building (two-storey building behind the other two). (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1898, big changes are announced for Ashcroft’s Barnes Block

A new drug store, general store, and newspaper building are reported to be on the way

 

A photograph taken some time between 1907 and 1916 shows Ashcroft’s 60,000 gallon reservoir (circled near top right with a road leading to it) on the hillside to the east of town, in about the same spot where a modern pump station now stands. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1973, Walhachin residents have concerns about CP blasting

Some cynicism is expressed as to why Walhachin seems to be CP’s only source in B.C. for rip-rap

A photograph taken some time between 1907 and 1916 shows Ashcroft’s 60,000 gallon reservoir (circled near top right with a road leading to it) on the hillside to the east of town, in about the same spot where a modern pump station now stands. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)
A work by Mike Walker in the author’s collection shows a mile board sign on the CP line west of Ashcroft, looking east towards town. Mile board signs like this are a mile out from station name signs on the CP network. (Photo credit: Barbara Roden)

Where and what is Benledi? The stories behind CP station names

The first of two articles exploring the origins of the CP station names from Kamloops to North Bend

A work by Mike Walker in the author’s collection shows a mile board sign on the CP line west of Ashcroft, looking east towards town. Mile board signs like this are a mile out from station name signs on the CP network. (Photo credit: Barbara Roden)
Power station on the Bonaparte River near Ashcroft, date unknown. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1898, work starts on water and power plant for Ashcroft

Project hailed as excellent news: ‘Now look out for Ashcroft to grow’

Power station on the Bonaparte River near Ashcroft, date unknown. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)
The Ashcroft Methodist church at 3rd and Bancroft Streets, which opened in January 1898, is pictured here in 1925, when it was moved a block down Bancroft to become the hall for what was then the Presbyterian church, and is now Zion United. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1898, Ashcroft’s new Methodist Church opens its doors

Church would remain until 1925, when it was moved one block tojoin with what is now Zion United

The Ashcroft Methodist church at 3rd and Bancroft Streets, which opened in January 1898, is pictured here in 1925, when it was moved a block down Bancroft to become the hall for what was then the Presbyterian church, and is now Zion United. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)
Ashcroft c. 1906, showing the CP yard and station with Railway Avenue behind it; the Ashcroft Hotel is at centre to the right of the steam engine. In 1897 a chop house called The Welcome had opened along Railway, although its precise location is not known. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1897, arrival of a woman mining expert creates a sensation

‘Miss Gire is a thorough mineralogist, and has a most pleasing manner with strangers’

Ashcroft c. 1906, showing the CP yard and station with Railway Avenue behind it; the Ashcroft Hotel is at centre to the right of the steam engine. In 1897 a chop house called The Welcome had opened along Railway, although its precise location is not known. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)
The historic 83 Mile House, a landmark on the Cariboo Road, pictured around 1920. It was completely destroyed by fire in December 1922.

In 1922, fire destroys historic gold rush roadhouse at 83 Mile

125 YEARS AGO: DEC. 25, 1897 New Church: The Methodist church, which…

The historic 83 Mile House, a landmark on the Cariboo Road, pictured around 1920. It was completely destroyed by fire in December 1922.
A photograph from the 1930s shows a wooden sign beside what then remained of Harper’s Mill. In 1947 the <em>Journal</em> notes that the building was still in the process of being demolished. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1972, Lytton elects Lorraine Simpson as its second ‘lady Mayor’

Simpson was elected following the death of incumbent mayor Hazel Hill

A photograph from the 1930s shows a wooden sign beside what then remained of Harper’s Mill. In 1947 the <em>Journal</em> notes that the building was still in the process of being demolished. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)
They’re museum pieces now, but these novelty phones were the height of sophistication and modernity in 1972, as this vintage B.C. TEL ad shows. (Photo credit: <em>Journal</em> archives)

In 1972, Loon Lake residents asked to practice better phone etiquette

Those on party lines are reminded to hang up the receiver as a ‘common courtesy’ to others

They’re museum pieces now, but these novelty phones were the height of sophistication and modernity in 1972, as this vintage B.C. TEL ad shows. (Photo credit: <em>Journal</em> archives)
The latest in modern technology from a century ago: a portable sound system, advertised in the <em>Journal</em> in 1922. The $62.50 purchase price, adjusted for inflation, is about $1,100 in today’s dollars. (Photo credit: <em>Journal</em> archives)

In 1972, Cache Creek looks at possibility of building a pool

Residents to be asked by ballot if they are in favour of the village financing a pool

The latest in modern technology from a century ago: a portable sound system, advertised in the <em>Journal</em> in 1922. The $62.50 purchase price, adjusted for inflation, is about $1,100 in today’s dollars. (Photo credit: <em>Journal</em> archives)
The coming of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885 meant that the Cariboo Waggon Road was all but abandoned, and soon fell into disrepair, as can be seen in this photograph taken around 1900 showing the Cariboo Road at left and the CP line on the far side of the river. By 1922 there were calls to repair and rebuild the historic road and make it suitable for motor cars.

In 1922, demand for a highway through Fraser Canyon continues

Sorry state of old Cariboo Waggon Road made it impassable for vehicles to and from coast

The coming of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885 meant that the Cariboo Waggon Road was all but abandoned, and soon fell into disrepair, as can be seen in this photograph taken around 1900 showing the Cariboo Road at left and the CP line on the far side of the river. By 1922 there were calls to repair and rebuild the historic road and make it suitable for motor cars.
‘Cutting Ribbon On New Cariboo Strip’ (Nov. 20, 1947): ‘Picture shows Hon. E.C. Carson Minister of Works, cutting the white satin ribbon, assisted by Mrs. Matt. Porter owner of the 70-Mile House and old time resident of the district.’ (Photo credit: <em>Journal</em> archives)

In 1947, a dramatic escape from Clinton jail leads to manhunt

Four escapees stole rifles, clothes, and cash and led pursuers on a two-day chase

‘Cutting Ribbon On New Cariboo Strip’ (Nov. 20, 1947): ‘Picture shows Hon. E.C. Carson Minister of Works, cutting the white satin ribbon, assisted by Mrs. Matt. Porter owner of the 70-Mile House and old time resident of the district.’ (Photo credit: <em>Journal</em> archives)
James Teit (second from l) with (from l) Nlaka’pamux Chief John Tetlanetza, Ktunaxa Chief Paul David, and St’at’imc Chief Thomas Adolph of the B.C. Interior during a lobbying trip to Ottawa in 1916.

In 1922, legendary Spences Bridge ethnographer James Teit dies

Teit was celebrated for his studies of, and advocacy for, the native people of the B.C. Interior

James Teit (second from l) with (from l) Nlaka’pamux Chief John Tetlanetza, Ktunaxa Chief Paul David, and St’at’imc Chief Thomas Adolph of the B.C. Interior during a lobbying trip to Ottawa in 1916.
The B.X. Express mail stage leaving Ashcroft for Clinton, 150 Mile, Soda Creek, and Quesnel in 1905. In 1922 the mail stage — which by then had transitioned to motor vehicles — ended, with mail being transported north via train. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1922, it’s the end of the line for the Cariboo road mail stage

As of November 1922, mail would travel north by train, meaning the end of an era

The B.X. Express mail stage leaving Ashcroft for Clinton, 150 Mile, Soda Creek, and Quesnel in 1905. In 1922 the mail stage — which by then had transitioned to motor vehicles — ended, with mail being transported north via train. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)
An undated photograph shows the Ashcroft cannery building on Railway Avenue. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1947, it’s a bumper year for tomatoes at the Ashcroft cannery

The cannery processed 2,500 tons of tomatoes and 325 tons of pumpkin

An undated photograph shows the Ashcroft cannery building on Railway Avenue. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)
An undated picture shows the Clinton schoolhouse (now the museum) with students and teachers. The building was later used as a courthouse, but in 1947 returned to being a school due to the increased number of students. (Photo credit: Clinton Museum)

In 1922 and 1947, kids are warned against Halloween hi-jinks

Mischief and destruction by young people on All Hallows Eve were a grave concern

An undated picture shows the Clinton schoolhouse (now the museum) with students and teachers. The building was later used as a courthouse, but in 1947 returned to being a school due to the increased number of students. (Photo credit: Clinton Museum)
Skaters in Ashcroft in a photo dated 189-. The rink was at the north end of Railway Avenue near the Cargile Hotel (at centre to the right of the false-fronted building; Interior Savings stands there now). Because the rink was so close TO the CP tracks, cinders from passing steam trains would melt into the ice, causing havoc for skaters who struck them. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1947, beloved Clinton Band Chief Jimmy Gabriel passes away

Gabriel was over 100 years old and had been chief for more than seven decades

Skaters in Ashcroft in a photo dated 189-. The rink was at the north end of Railway Avenue near the Cargile Hotel (at centre to the right of the false-fronted building; Interior Savings stands there now). Because the rink was so close TO the CP tracks, cinders from passing steam trains would melt into the ice, causing havoc for skaters who struck them. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)
Photograph taken on Oct. 9, 1947 of a CN passenger train that derailed east of Ashcroft shortly after midnight that morning. No one was seriously injured in the incident. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)

In 1947, a CN passenger train derails just east of Ashcroft

No one was injured in the incident, which happened just after midnight near the Bonaparte River

Photograph taken on Oct. 9, 1947 of a CN passenger train that derailed east of Ashcroft shortly after midnight that morning. No one was seriously injured in the incident. (Photo credit: Ashcroft Museum and Archives)