1. How long have you lived here? My wife and I moved to Ashcroft 25 years ago and we raised our three daughters here. When I retired we chose to remain in this great community as it is home.
2. What is your occupation? I am retired and keep busy and fulfilled through my volunteer work in the community. I retired from the Area Manager position with the Ministry of Transportation and Highways.
3. Have you done any volunteer work here? Which group(s)? I am an active volunteer throughout the community of Ashcroft and the surrounding area. I volunteer with the following organizations: Ashcroft and District Chamber of Commerce – three years member, one year President; Ashcroft Recreation Commission – four years member, two years Chairperson; Ashcroft Coalition – active member; Thompson View Manor Society – two years Board Member; Ash-Creek TV Society – 10 years member, four years Chairperson; Ashcroft Board of Variance – six years Chairperson; Ashcroft Wellness Festival Committee – active member; and Friends of Historic Hat Creek Ranch Society: nine years member, seven years Chair.
4. Have you served before on a Town Council or School Board? This will be my first experience serving on a Town Council; however, I have 20 years of leadership and governance experience chairing a variety of boards.
5. Which issues are most important to you? The three issues that I believe are important to creating a strong future for Ashcroft are: Economic Development; Health Care; and Community Services.
6. How would you address them? Economic Development: I will take every opportunity to promote the Ashcroft Terminal and its continued expansion. One of the ways to support this is to maintain the collaborative working relationship with the Municipality of Delta which benefits us. I will work with Council to support existing local business and also identify areas of future development for new housing. As well, I will advocate for the improvement of Evans Road.
Health Care: I will work to ensure that Ashcroft has a functioning Emergency Room. I will fully support initiatives focused to recruit and retain doctors in Ashcroft.
Community Services: The upgrade to the municipal water system is a very complex and costly project. As Mayor this process will move forward in an open and thoughtful process that respects the citizens of Ashcroft. The signage on the Trans Canada Highway needs to be improved so the travelling public knows the services and events that are happening in our great little town.
7. Additional comments: As your Mayor, I will lead in a collaborative manner that will ensure that all issues are dealt with in a way that benefits all of the citizens of Ashcroft.