Landfill Extension work gets underway

Belkorp says it's ready to start moving dirt for the Cache Creek Landfill Extension.

Work is about to begin on the Cache Creek Landfill Extension, a 60 hectare piece of property next to the current landfill.

The Extension was announced in January 2010 when it received approval from the BC Environmental Assessment Office.

Belkorp vice president Russ Black was in Ashcroft on Monday to explain the work done so far to the Ashcroft Council.

Belkorp is still working on getting the Operational Certificate for the Extension, but they are “99 per cent” of the way to getting it, Black told the Council.

In the middle of the process, said Black, the Ministry came out with new landfill guidelines, which included double composite liners. Which was great news for Belkorp, he said, because they had already designed the Extension to have quadruple liners – twice the new criteria.

Black said the extra protection was a personal issue for him.

“I have a lot of comfort in having double the standard,” he said.

He convinced the board to pay  the the added protection, saying it  isn’t something that can be added after the fact.

He said they may be jumping the gun a little, but they plan to start moving dirt for the Extension within a couple of weeks. Most of the work for the Operational Certificate is complete, there are still some components of post-closure security that have not been agreed to yet by the province.

The earth moving is part of Stage !A – the first of six stages. Stage 1 is the initial construction.

He said they also need to realign the Forest Service Road as requirerd by the Environmental Certificate. Black said they don’t have to do it right away, but Wastech needs access, and so work on that will also begin in two weeks. He said there shouldn’t be significant impact on traffic, but there will be traffic control in place to keep vehicles moving.

Putting animal byproducts in the Extension had been considered, but Ashcroft Council’s opposition to it made them decide to remove it from the Operational Certificate.  If they decide to consider that again, it will have broad public consultation, he said.

At the moment, they’re doing baseline water sampling from the Bonaparte River and surrounding groundwater. They also have several sampling wells placed around the Extension.

There is already a Cache Creek Landfill Extension Implementation Committee in place. It had its first meeting on Sept. 4 in Cache Creek.

Just Posted

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Over 5K jabbed at Interior Health mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinics

The clinics have made stops in more than 40 communities since launching last week

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry talks about B.C.’s plan to restart the province during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, May 25, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Interior Health COVID-19 cases falling slower than the rest of B.C.

More than a third of provincial cases announced Thursday came from the Interior

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Second dose vaccinations accelerating throughout region: Interior Health

To date, more than 675,000 doses have been administered throughout the region

Okanagan Lake (File photo)
Thompson-Okanagan ready to welcome back tourists

The Thompson-Okanagan Tourism Association expects this summer to be a busy one

Aerial view of a wildfire at 16 Mile, 11 kilometres northwest of Cache Creek, that started on the afternoon of June 15. (Photo credit: BC Wildfire Service)
Wildfire at 16 Mile now being held

Wildfire started on the afternoon of June 15 at 16 Mile, east of Highway 97

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read